Monday, July 20, 2026

Unshelve With Library Journal's Horror Preview

One of my favorite features in Library Journal is their genre preview. Obviously, I have a bias towards the horror preview which was published on July 15. In "The Art of Tales That Terrify," Becky Spratford details trends in horror. While the books she lists may be upcoming or new, you can use what she discusses to create your own Summerween display. 

While I encourage all of you to read the article to strengthen your readers advisory skills, I will list some of what she mentions along with her subheadings:

  • Genre blends - especially horror with romance or science fiction
    • Swoons and Screams
    • Sci-Fi Horror Comes Down to Earth
  • Evolutions in folk horror and art horror
    • Folk Horror Expands Its Terrifying Reach
    • Art Horror on Visceral Display
  • Stories about motherhood
    • The Macabre and The Maternal
  • Stories about the sea
    • Sea-Soaked Horror
  • Stories that are terrifyingly relatable
Any of these can be used to launch a book display with suspense, thrillers, horror, and non-fiction. There are likely DVDs in your collection that can also be included. Look through your catalog and search subject headings. You can add titles that are not exact. For example, if you include romantic suspense along with your horror-romance blends, no one is going to mind. I'm sure you can find plenty of books, including true crime, about motherhood gone wrong in one direction or another. 

Remember that you don't always have to come up with ideas on your own; borror from publishers, booksellers, and the library press. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unshelve With Library Journal's Horror Preview

One of my favorite features in Library Journal is their genre preview. Obviously, I have a bias towards the horror preview which was publi...