Book Review - The Brians of Horror Featuring Brian McAuley and CURSE OF THE REAPER

Because of a joke I made on Twitter, I'm reading through some authors named Brian who write horror. The first was Brian McAuley's Curse of the Reaper. I loved his novella Candy Cain Kills; I love a book with a female villain who is genuinely evil and menacing. 

If you love the wild ride of a great horror film with a slasher running wild, you will also love this book. A film professor, McAuley definitely brings a cinematic feeling to his books. It's a fun book that would pair nicely with the slasher novels of the last few years. Set up a display with this book, other slasher novels, and a ton of your horror DVDs. 

This would also be a great alternative to a traditional beach reads display. People read all kinds of books at the beach. They really love horror, thrillers, and suspense in the summer. I live 15 minutes from the beach in Florida and I can tell you that horror will move in the summer as a beach read. 

I posted a review on Goodreads but I thought I would also post it here. 

It is as much fun as as gory as any movie slasher. McAuley clearly loves the genre and it comes through in the writing. It’s also a novel about aging and the weight of a legacy and the cost of becoming an icon. With bits of scripts mixed in, it’s also a clever send up of Hollywood and the movie industry with its endless hunger for sequels and remakes. 

Recommended to those who loved HORROR MOVIE by Paul Tremblay and it will pair nicely with the upcoming I WAS A TEENAGE SLASHER by Stephen Graham Jones 
The ‘zon says people frequently by it with THE HOLLOW KIND by Andy Davidson which is a great book but completely different.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Display Theme- Black History Month

August Book Display Ideas

September Book Display Ideas